After a brief hiatus in old Constantinople, Ahmed and I rejoin David just in time for this week’s Kaspersky Transatlantic Cable podcast, episode 231.
To kick things off, we enter The Sandbox metaverse and get into its land sales —in this case, the opportunity to be Snoop Dogg’s neighbor. Well, sort of. Believe it or not, one of the NFTs sold for a whopping $450,000. And yes, you read that right, someone ponied up the cost of a home — or several, in many US markets — for a plot in the Snoopverse. Virtually living next to the virtual doggfather? What a time to be alive!
From there, we head back to familiar territory for a look at Facebook’s removal of its self-imposed ban on cryptocurrency ads. Then, after a brief quiz break, it’s a pair of stories about disinformation and what Facebook and Twitter are doing to battle it on their platforms (not enough).
To close out the podcast, we chat about a new phishing scheme using the Omicron variant of COVID-19 to attract UK victims.
If you liked what you heard, please consider subscribing and sharing with your friends. For more information on the stories we covered, see the links below:
- Someone paid $450K to be Snoop Dogg’s metaverse neighbor
- Facebook unbans bitcoin ads in huge boost for crypto industry
- Facebook uncovers Chinese network behind fake expert
- Twitter removes another 3,000 state-backed accounts linked to six countries
- Omicron phishing scam already spotted in UK