Facebook Security | Protect Your Identity | Kaspersky Lab US
Facebook Security Tips
Facebook is a great way of keeping in touch with friends. However, you need to be very careful about the type of information that you reveal… just in case it falls into the wrong hands.
Internet Security tips – to help you use Facebook more safely
With cybercriminals using a wide range of financial scams in order to try to steal money – and criminals also making bogus ‘friend requests’ in order to capture personal information – it’s wise to be careful in how you use Facebook. Here are a few Facebook security tips to help keep you safe:
- Verify every Facebook contact
Make sure that the person you’re talking to… really is the person you think they are. Try to verify their identity.
- Protect your banking and financial information
Never disclose anything about your bank accounts, credit cards, debit cards, or other financial information on Facebook.
- Be wary of strangers
Don’t add or accept friend requests from people that you don’t know.
- Keep your password secure
Taking a little extra care over your password can be a vital element in your Facebook security:
- Devise a complex password that will be difficult for others to guess
- Ideally, your password should use a mixture of letters, numbers, and symbols
- Remember to change your password frequently
- Don't use the same password for Facebook and other websites. If the security of your password is compromised on one site, it may then be used to access your Facebook account
- Secure your computer, your mobile devices, and your data
Install a rigorous anti-malware solution on your computer, smartphone, and tablet – to protect your devices against the latest computer viruses, worms, Trojan viruses, and other threats.