Kaspersky Lab Kicks Off Its Annual Student Conference “CyberSecurity for the Next Generation – 2014”
Woburn, MA –September 4, 2013 - Kaspersky Lab
announced the start of its international student competition “CyberSecurity for
the Next Generation – 2014” for the new academic year. The conference will
comprise four regional rounds and a global final. Entries can be submitted for
all regions starting September 1, 2013 at the new online platform: http://academy.kaspersky.com/?post_type=event.
“CyberSecurity for the Next Generation – 2014” is a unique platform that annually brings together young researchers, leading IT security experts and university professors from all over the world in a collaborative, fun and creative environment, to present and discuss the most burning issues related to cyber security. Anyone from the world of higher education, whether undergraduate or postgraduate, is welcome to enter their work.
Students can submit projects on the following topics:
1) Emerging threats for emerging platforms
- Embedded systems; Mobile security (Android, IOS, Windows Phone); Windows 8, Mac OS & other operating systems, etc.
2) Securing cloud, virtual & ‘big-data’ infrastructure
- Mail services; Storage services; Social networks, etc.
3) Future protection technologies
- Proactive detection technologies; Filtering technologies; Web application security, etc.
4) Securing corporate infrastructure
- Combating advanced persistent threats (APTs)/targeted attacks; vulnerabilities, exploits; rootkits/bootkits; botnets; DDoS attacks; network security, etc.
5) Security education
- Tools and resources to raise and promote IT security awareness (Advertising, Marketing)
A program committee of Kaspersky Lab experts, leading academics from the field of IT security, key decision-makers from IT businesses, and media representatives will judge the papers. The authors of the most interesting and innovative cyber security projects will be invited to attend one of the conference’s regional rounds:
- European Cup: December 2013 – Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Russia & CIS Cup: February 2014 – Kiev Polytechnic Institute, Ukraine
- Asia-Pacific & MEA Cup: March 2014 – Korea University, South Korea
- Americas Cup: March - April 2014 – Georgetown University, USA
The conference is held in a friendly, creative and supportive atmosphere and is guaranteed to be an unforgettable experience. Students will be given the opportunity to present and defend their projects, take part in workshops and teambuilding activities, and attend talks and panel discussions by leading experts. The conference provides a unique opportunity for students to showcase their research and knowledge to key academic and industry experts, opening doors to potentially new and attractive careers in IT security.
The winners of the regional rounds receive generous cash prizes and invitations to attend the international final that brings together the best-of-the-best from the regional elimination rounds. The final takes place in June 2014 in Stockholm, Sweden.
For more information on ‘CyberSecurity for the Next Generation - 2014’ and other Kaspersky Lab educational initiatives please visit:
About Kaspersky Lab
Kaspersky Lab is the world’s largest privately held vendor of endpoint protection solutions. The company is ranked among the world’s top four vendors of security solutions for endpoint users*. Throughout its more than 15-year history Kaspersky Lab has remained an innovator in IT security and provides effective digital security solutions for large enterprises, SMBs and consumers. Kaspersky Lab, with its holding company registered in the United Kingdom, currently operates in almost 200 countries and territories across the globe, providing protection for over 300 million users worldwide. Learn more at www.kaspersky.com.
For the latest in-depth information on security threat issues and trends, please visit:
Securelist | Information about Viruses, Hackers and Spam
Follow @Securelist on Twitter
Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platforms, Peter Firstbrook, John
Girard, Neil MacDonald, January 2, 2013.
* *The company was rated fourth in the IDC rating Worldwide Endpoint Security Revenue by Vendor, 2011. The rating was published in the IDC report "Worldwide Endpoint Security 2012–2016 Forecast and 2011 Vendor Shares (IDC #235930, July 2012). The report ranked software vendors according to earnings from sales of endpoint security solutions in 2011.